About a month ago we made a video with our favorite lender about tips on staging a home to get it ready for the market. In my eyes, this is the most important topic when selling a home. Sorry sellers, its not all about price. So today I am going to give you my top 7 tips to get your home ready for the market.
1. If I could only pick one tip this would be it hands down. Declutter, declutter, declutter. Buyers get distracted looking at our "things" versus looking at the home they are potentially interested in buying. Decluttering also allows our spaces to look and feel larger. Now is a great time to start packing things up and stacking boxes neatly in the garage.
2. Brighten it up! When people move to Arizona they are looking for bright airy homes. An easy way to do this is to remove all the sunscreens from your windows. For showings turn on all lights and lamps for the brightest room possible.
3. First impressions are everything. Buyers begin to generate opinions the second they pull up to your home. Adding colorful flowers and a fresh door mat are east ways to make a lasting impression.
4. A top "must have" on every homebuyers list is storage. Organizing closets and decluttering shelves is a great way to show off how much space you really have. Remove items from the pantry and closet floors to help spaces feel even bigger!
5. Depersonalize your space. The way in which we live when our home is on the market is very different than when it isn't on the market. This means removing family photos (a few are okay!) and putting away things like toothbrushes in the bathrooms. Buyers want to be able to envision themselves in the space without seeing your personal items.
6. Neutralize the paint. Just because you love your lime green living room doesn't mean that everyone else will. Now it's time to think beige, gray or even white. Anything neutral will be a perfect fit for all buyers.
7. Updating kitchen appliances is one of the best returns on your investment. Head to your local appliance store, if you're in Arizona I highly recommend Spencer's. Stainless steel appliances can quickly turn an outdated kitchen into a modern one.